Trains and Heartbeat




Wow. It's been a while since I have posted. My laptop had to go to the doctors and life just gets in the way! But I'm back, and bear with me as I try to catch up!

To continue, this was the Thursday of our week in Whitby. On our way home from York we bypassed through the Yorkshire Moors and spotted a steam train in the distance and passed through Goathland {home of the TV show Heartbeat} and the railway station which featured in Harry Potter.
So we decided to come back the following day.

We set off early like we did everyday of the holiday and the weather was just glorious. We also arrived on time to see lots of old trains. I don't know anything about trains but it was really cool to see them. I jumped so many times at the various horns that went off.






First stop on our trail was Grosmont. A cute little town with a huge railway platform and many cute details.








Like us many other people were gathered to see the train coming in. It was exciting waiting for it to come through the tunnel. This one spouted out a load of steam as is passed and I totally jumped.







This is at Goathland. The platform famous for featuring in Hogwarts. You might recognise the bridge! This was far more busy. We didn't plan on going on the trains because we had other things to see that day but it looked like so much fun. I'm pretty sure I've been on one around these parts when I was little and on hols with my folks.




This, I am told, is 1 of 6 trains like this in the world. All designed by Sir Nigel Gresley.

We recently had a railway open in the Scottish Borders and my town Galashiels. And I find it so exciting.

The Queen officially opened it on the 9th of September, and travelled along the railway line on one of these trains called Union of South Africa, 1 of 3 still running. I felt really privileged to have seen 2 of the 3 remaining in use.






If you were around in the 90s you would have probably seen the TV show Heartbeat. Goathland is where it was set and I remember visiting here when I was little. Oh Nick Berry! I kind of regret not buying a postcard of him now!

















I highly recommend visiting here if you are in the area. I love finding details in wee towns and there is plenty to find in small rural towns.

Look out for more posts soon...

Comments