More Reading

I've not really read as much as I'd hoped after my last bout of reading. But the books I have chosen recently haven't gripped me as much as the first few.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.

I actually liked this. The only part that disappointed me was the ending. However the story itself is endearing and sweet.

Eleanor is a damaged young woman, and with her red hair and boyish clothing she stands out. Her family life is less than perfect and she is struggling to keep it together. Park is quite the opposite. He is tall, dark and lean {handsome}. He isn't popular but he is inbetween. His family life is average suburbia and he has little to worry about. Until Eleanor comes into his life.

At first he is reluctant to let this girl into his life but he warms to her every morning on their bus to school, where they first meet. It's a kind of a slow mover but I was reading it everynight without fail, gripped to the sweetness and the bitterness of this new friendship.

This is my 2nd Rainbow book and it won't be my last.

Looking For Alaska by John Green.

I hate that I didn't enjoy this but I really struggled to finish it. I don't know if I'm comparing it to 'The Fault in Our stars' too much, I didn't even think of it that way, but it didn't grasp me as much as the other books I've been reading. Instead of finishing it within a week this has taken me 2 which isn't great.

However the story was quite interesting. The story starts with a young guy, Pudge {so called cos he isn't fat} on his way to a boarding/private school to finish off his education. He is quite far from home and plunged in at the deep end with a outlandish, polar opposite room mate the 'Colonel'. He is friends with Alaska whom is a sort of whirlwind, damaged girl whom drinks and smokes despite the rules.

I can't say too much more without giving away the storyline but I felt as if the storyline got a bit lost. There is a kind of time line but it picks up days later at a time and the story didn't grip me or make me wonder what would happen next cos the suspense kind of wasn't there. I think at the start is the only point where anything eventful happens which makes you think 'ooh what's going to happen'.

I hate not liking this book but it really disappointed me. Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea. It felt as though he was trying to write about what kids their age do without actually being truthful. Yeah they were smoking and drinking but it didn't feel genuine. I think it came across quite stale and unemotional in places.

I'm still going to read more of his books. I'm hoping this is just a bum note for him and me. Not every book is going to be a winner.

{I think 'Attachement' is the french spelling}

These are my next 'to read' books. I'm quite excited, I've already started 'Attachment'. I hope I get more joy out of these.

Comments