The Kelpies

If you have never heard of 'The Kelpies' I forgive you. They are a recently new Art instalment in central Scotland. 

Standing 30 metres high next to the Forth and Clyde canal near Falkirk. Sculptor Andy Scott designed these magnificent creatures. { Kelpies are the Scottish name given to a malevolent water-spirit or demon inhabiting the lochs and pools of Scotland.} 


Myself and the OH headed up towards Falkirk. It was our mission to see the Kelpies, then a spot of shopping in Stirling. Oh good lord it was a struggle to get to either.

If you are not familiar with this part of road, it is a total nightmare to navigate. But you do get a view of them from the M9 which I think is pretty cool, you just struggle to find the right turn off to get to the park they are based in!!! I'm sure that will improve.

As you can see we did eventually get there. And I was blown away. The size of them is just indescribable. You can walk right up to them, so I spent most of my time with them looking right up the side of them. Right under it's mouth and just completely in awe of their sheer size and beauty.








I would recommend anyone to go see them. I think it is open to the public all day and night. The only part that isn't is the tour, which lets you see inside, but I wasn't fussed for that. I was too busy looking at the outside. I hope to go again this Summer.

Afterwards, as I said, we went up to Stirling. Another stressful town to navigate. Old towns in Scotland are badly laid out for us newbies. I did get some nice new things though in their shopping centre so that finished off the day nicely. But after a 7 hour round trip, I think we were both glad to get home.

Comments

  1. A colleague of mine went to see them last week and said the same, amazing to see but a bit difficult to get to!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment